Tuesday 9 February 2016

AFTER I’VE JOINED THE PROJECT – NEXT STEPS



AFTER I’VE JOINED THE PROJECT – NEXT STEPS

Many newly-acquired members don’t  know what to do next after they just cross the gate of our project. Therefore, I will come up with some basic tutorial.  

I will provide a guidance about:
1. Adding information about your earliest known paternal ancestor.
2. Adding location of your earliest known paternal ancestor.
3. Checking your placement in “DNA Results” section (entry Part TWO )
4. Basic understanding of categories you will fall into (entry Part THREE )
5. Ordering single-SNPs, SNP Packs or Big Y, quick comparison (entry part FOUR – coming soon)

First two steps can be easily done by administrators. Just send us information through e-mail, post on Activity Feed etc. etc.

Ad.1 – INFORMATION ABOUT EARLIEST KNOWN PATERNAL ANCESTOR

When you take a look at your “Matches” list, many of your hypothetical male kinsmen are just blank, like this:


Irritating, isn’t it? Many of you are responsible of it, often unintentionally.
FTDNA isn’t too user-friendly, so some of you may have no idea that your matches see NOTHING, beside name and surname of yourself.
Even worse situation is possible, when name and surname belongs to a person that manages certain kit, for example of his/her maternal uncle. In such case, combined with lack of information about earliest known paternal ancestor, your match will not only know NOTHING but also will be MISLEAD.

To picture it - they will see TOM JONES as a contact person and no-one listed as an earliest known paternal ancestor, whereas result actually belongs to ERIC SMITH. SMITH matches won’t contact JONES, because they will think that JONES was the one who got tested and they are interested only in SMITH matches.

OK, I want to check whether everything is fine.

Log in and move your mouse to the right top, as shown below. 

Now, it’s irrelevant whether you click on “My profile”, “Account Settings” or “Privacy Settings”. Click on any of these...then click on "Genealogy" and choose "Most Distant Ancestors".


In this case, we have no information. Let’s add it. Don't forget to save all of this.

Now, when the information is saved, we can proceed to the next step.

Ad.2  - LOCATION OF YOUR EARLIEST KNOWN PATERNAL ANCESTOR

It is also highly important, because it shows to your matches whether your sample is geographically close or from particularly interesting location. It also allows us, administrators, to get an idea about the distribution of various subclades od R1a.

You can start just from where you ended inserting information about earliest known paternal ancestor.
A map will show up. Choose the right option, the left ;)
As you can see, you can change an inormation about earliest known paternal ancestor or add something (like administrative division, parish, village, any other valuable info). You can even write insults to administrators, provided that the rest is correct ;)

Next...
Sometimes there are many villages or towns with the same names. If you aren't sure, ask administrator or search by Latitude and Longitude. I feel competent about Polish and German placenames.
Next...you can change placename if it's name was switched in tides of history, to original one (for instance). It doesn't apply in my case.
 Final confirmation. I have no idea why the whole process can't be done easier. FTDNA, work on it!
Don't forget to click on "Save & Exit" button.

Be happy with your pin! I hope that your matches will be happy as well :).

6 comments:

  1. Pięknie opracowane... szkoda, że nie "po polsku". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Mr Benjamin Lee service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to Mr Benjamin service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to this funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 5 working days just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% rate and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact this funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on { lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello group. My name is John Schlosser, from San Diego, California. My great-grandfather, Franciszek Slosarczyk, changed his name to Frank Schlosser when he emigrated to the U.S. in 1887. I have his birth record from the Polish state archives. The earliest paternal ancestor I'm certain of is Stephanus (Stephan) Slosarczyk, born in Zduny (near Krotoszyn in Wielkopolskie, Poland, in 1800. Can administrators assist me with inputting this information? Thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khurshid Iqbal Yusufzai from Shangla Pakhtunkhwa, my haplogroup group is R-M198 according to my Y-37 results.

    ReplyDelete